NEW: Specialty Abstract Submissions
This year's conference theme: Science, Technology, and Social Change.
Accepting Abstract Submissions for Specialty Tracks
We are now soliciting abstracts focused on Social Transformation and welcome submissions for the three specialty tracks: Immunoengineering, Data analysis and deep learning strategies, and Social Transformation.
We envision topics such as (but not limited to) racial health inequities, technological causes and means to measure racial inequities (e.g., data, algorithms), evaluation of social determinants of health, transgender and nonbinary health, ableism in science, professional disparities (e.g., citation disparity, racial funding disparity), and methods to overcome social challenges such as science communication and community building.
- This abstract submission window ONLY applies to the three specialty tracks. These abstract submissions will qualify for oral presentations.
- To submit an abstract for one of the 18 tracks being offered, Late-breaking and Undergraduate abstracts will open next month.
- Start by reading the detailed submission information found below the blue button.
- Waiting till the last minute floods our system, and due to the influx of submissions, it can cause technical issues like slow upload times. Give yourself enough time to complete the entire submission process well in advance of 3 p.m. ET
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please be informed that the Specialty Tracks now exclusively comprise the following tracks: Immunoengineering, Data Analysis & Deep Learning, and Social Transformation. If you choose the Specialty Track as your primary group for abstract submission but then select a track other than the three mentioned above, your abstract will be reclassified as a Late-Breaking Submission. Consequently, it will only be considered for a poster presentation during the annual meeting and will be ineligible for a refund of any kind. Kindly note that BMES is now accepting abstracts for the following tracks; Specialty Track Immunoengineering, Data Analysis & Deep Learning, and Social Transformation. Any submissions received under any other tracks between Thursday, May 11th, and Wednesday, June 7th, will automatically convert to a late-breaking abstract and be ineligible for an oral presentation or refund.
Wednesday, June 7 at 3 p.m. ET
Detailed Submission Information
Please read each section below for instructions on how to get started. Abstract selection for the BMES Annual Meeting is highly competitive. Due to this, we receive a high volume of submissions, so failure to follow instructions properly could result in disqualification and the abstract will not be considered — we don't want that happening to you!
What are the specialty tracks?
We welcome abstracts that demonstrate applications of engineering principles in immunology for biomedical applications. This includes, but is not limited to, research related to engineering the immune system using biomaterials, cellular-based therapies, and immune modulation in regenerative medicine.
Data Analysis and Deep Learning Strategies
Massive amounts of biomedical data are being generated from laboratory research, wearable devices, clinical studies, and healthcare records. We welcome submissions that present cutting-edge analytical and deep learning approaches for analyzing such data, with a focus on gaining biological and clinical insights.
We strive towards a future in which Biomedical Engineering equitably produces solutions for not just some human populations or individuals, but for all of humanity. Making this leap will require that we more openly evaluate scientific challenges within the enduring systemic, intersectional, and social structures of our broader societies and world. We thus introduce a new thrust to the BMES annual meeting - Social Transformation. This thrust will center justice, equity, and sociality in health and shed light on the role of biomedical engineers in developing innovative solutions to address challenges related to these areas.
Before You Submit
- In order to submit, the presenting author and the submitting author must have a BMES member or non-member account to submit an abstract.
- You will be unable to submit an abstract if you skip this first step.
- Please log in to verify your credentials or sign up for an account BEFORE submitting for it to be included in the abstract submission.
- You will only be able to log into the BMES portal using the information we have on file.
- Therefore, it is imperative that you check your profile in the BMES membership portal BEFORE going through the submission process to ensure that the information in this profile has your most accurate and up-to-date information.
- Failure to do so may result in an error and false submission.
- This critical step of updating your information in the BMES membership portal must be done BEFORE starting your submission because:
- The information you input in the membership portal is what will be reflected in the abstract submission system.
- Any information you enter in the membership portal will automatically override any information you input in the abstract submission site.
You will use a separate website site to submit your abstract.
- Submissions do not require a full author list to be considered complete.
- You will be able to access your abstract to make edits, including adding authors, until the specialty abstract submission deadline of Wednesday, June 7, 2023.
- There is a non-refundable abstract submission fee of $65 for each abstract submitted.
- This is a separate and additional fee to your conference registration purchase price.
- All presenting authors must register for the conference by Wednesday, August 16.
Please note, the format has changed from previous years. This year you will be asked to fill in text boxes to detail your introduction, materials & methods, results, conclusions & discussions. You will not be asked to reduce your data to a one-page upload. Any figures or images you have to support your abstract can be uploaded in a .jpg.jpeg. or .png format.
- During the submission process, you will be asked to complete sections of mandatory information needed in order to complete your abstract. You must enter 50 (minimum) to 250 (maximum) words for each of these required fields, including:
- Materials and Methods
- You will also be asked to enter 50 (minimum) to 350 (maximum) words for the following combined fields.
- Any images, tables, or figures that support your work will need to be entered in a .jpg, .jpeg, or .png format. PDF files will not be accepted.
- Specialty abstract submissions will be eligible for either an oral or poster presentation.
- By submitting, you agree to register and attend BMES 2023 Annual Meeting if selected to present this October 11-14, 2023 in Seattle, Washington. Presenting authors must attend in order to present.
- Late-breaking abstracts are open to all and only qualify for a poster session.
- Undergraduate research abstract submissions are limited to undergrad students and will only qualify for a poster session.
Important Dates to Remember
- Specialty Abstract Submissions Open
Wednesday, May 10 at 12:00 p.m. ET
- Specailaty Abstract Submission Deadline
Wednesday, June 7 at 3:00 p.m. ET
- Specialty Abstracts Confirmation of Acceptance/Rejection
- on or before Wednesday, June 28
- Presenting Author Notification of Schedule
Wednesday, August 2
- Presenting Author Registration Deadline
Wednesday, August 16
Wednesday, June 7 at 3 p.m. ET
For abstract-related questions, please contact email@example.com.