Special Session Request
A NOTE IN REGARD TO COVID-19
The 2020 Technical Program Committee is hard at work planning this year's Annual Meeting. We are developing contingency plans to ensure the success of the meeting. Please note that authors of accepted abstracts can present remotely.
SPECIAL SESSION SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Friday, February 21, 2020
Any BMES Member, Committee or Special Interest Group (SIG) requesting to have a Special Session at the BMES Annual Meeting must submit a request form
no later than Friday, February 21, 2020
. Approved requests include panels, workshops or symposia that are often tied to the meeting theme and that DO NOT fit within an existing track.
Requirements for Submission
- Must be a BMES Member, Committee or Special Interest Group (SIG) to submit.
- Must use the request form and submit no later than Friday, February 21, 2020.
- Must be a panel, workshop or symposia format whose topic is tied to the meeting theme (THEME: A 20/20 Vision of Biomedical Engineering) and meeting objectives, but DOES NOT fit within an existing track [now including Track Chairs and Final Subtracks].
- If accepted, participating organizers and speakers must register for the meeting. BMES will not provide funding to cover meeting registration, travel expenses, or hotel accommodations for organizers or speakers invited to participate in a Special Session.
What to Know Before Submitting
- Carefully review the existing meeting tracks before submitting your Special Session request. Any submission that fits within a current track should be submitted through the general abstract submission process (opening February 25, 2020) or discussed directly with track chairs.
- Social and networking events will not be accepted as Special Sessions and may be booked for a fee (first-come first-serve) using the Reception Reservation Form. Hosted receptions are not just for universities. Hosted receptions are not only meant for universities, they are open to any group who wants to host a networking event.
- Accepted requests will be slotted into one of the three main 90-minute platform session times (roughly 8:00-9:30 am, 1:30-3:00 pm or 3:30-5:00 pm).
- Special Session rooms will be set as theater seating and equipped only with standard AV. Standard AV includes PC-compatible computer with a USB port and Power Point along with an LCD projector, screen and a lectern with microphone. Food and beverages will not be provided.
- Organizers of proposed Special Sessions will be notified at the beginning of April 2020.
- Those accepted will be required to submit an abstract for their Special Session by May 1st for the mobile app and online program.
For questions, please contact Education Director, Michele Ciapa at email@example.com or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposals will be reviewed by the Annual Meeting Co-Chairs and, if necessary, seek the counsel of the National Meetings Committee, BMES Executive Committee and/or full Board of Directors. If approved, the activity may be added to the Annual Meeting on a date and time determined by the Meeting Co-Chairs based on availability. Requests and preferences will be taken into account, but are not guaranteed.
Submission is not a guarantee of acceptance and space is limited so not all requests will be accepted
Requests submitted after the Friday, February 21st deadline will not be accepted.