Health and Safety Policy
As part of the registration process, every attendee is required to affirm his/her/their commitment to comply with the health and safety guidelines set forth by this policy.
BMES 2022 Annual Meeting Health and Safety Policy
"The Biomedical Engineering Society takes the health and safety of our members, guests, and staff to be of the highest priority. We know that the decision of whether to attend a meeting is based upon a range of personal considerations. We continue to monitor a variety of sources, including the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and U.S. state and local health authorities for the latest public health updates, as well as applicable restrictions on large gatherings. A decision on a mask mandate will be made closer to the meeting. Based on current COVID-19 rates of infection, it is likely a mask mandate will be in place for the meeting.
As part of the registration process, every attendee is required to affirm his/her/their commitment to comply with the in-person meeting guidelines. Please review the requirements carefully prior to registering for the meeting.
By registering for and attending the meeting, you will be asked to accept the following during the registration process:
- I affirm that I will provide, prior to the meeting, either proof of full vaccination as defined by the CDC, or a negative COVID-19 test administered by a healthcare professional taken within 3 days (or shorter if required by law) of my arrival at the meeting to the third-party provider managing the collection of proof. BMES staff will provide more information closer to the meeting date.
- I will not attend the meeting if, within the last ten (10) full days of the meeting, I have tested positive for COVID-19, or have been in close contact defined by the CDC as 15 consecutive minutes or within 6 feet of someone who has a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- If at any time during the meeting I begin to experience symptoms of COVID-19 or am in contact with someone experiencing symptoms, I will immediately leave the meeting and inform BMES.
- I affirm that I will comply with all CDC, federal, state, local, and venue-specific laws, orders, directives, and guidelines related to COVID-19 and attending the meeting.
- I agree to comply with any mask mandate put in place by BMES in all official meeting locations including the convention center, hotels, or other venues.
Assumption of Risk and Waiver of Claims
“The Biomedical Engineering Society ("BMES") is holding its Annual Meeting ("AM") on October 12-15, 2022, at the Henry B. González Convention Center in San Antonio, Texas (“Venue”). All in-person attendees must agree to the terms of this Assumption of Risk and Waiver of Claims (“Waiver”). By signing this Waiver, the undersigned (“I” or “you”) acknowledge that you have made the decision to attend the AM in person with the full understanding of the inherent risks of such a decision and acknowledge and agree as follows:
- COVID-19 is an ongoing extremely contagious worldwide pandemic and traveling to and/or attending the AM could increase my risk of contracting COVID-19 at no fault of BMES.
- Infection with COVID-19 can result from close proximity to others, person-to-person contact, exposure to droplets/aerosols released by other attendees as a result of breathing, coughing, talking, and normal interaction as well as by touching surfaces.
- Contracting COVID-19 can result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, and death, and persons with underlying medical conditions or who are over the age of 65 are at “high risk” and particularly susceptible to developing severe illness from COVID-19.
- BMES is not responsible for the Venue’s COVID-19 mitigation efforts (or lack thereof) or any negligence by the Venue or its staff relative to such precautions.
I acknowledge and agree that I am attending the AM voluntarily, and at my own risk. I hereby release, for myself, my heirs, assigns, personal representatives and next of kin, and do forever discharge, covenant not to sue, indemnify and hold harmless BMES, its directors, officers, agents, employees, members, and representatives, of and from any and all claims, liabilities, actions, damages, costs or expenses of any kind arising out of, in connection with, or relating to my attending or participating in the AM including, without limitation, any illness, damages, or injury whatsoever resulting from my attendance at the AM, participation in events related to the AM, exposure to an infectious disease (including Covid-19) or the manner in which the AM or its related events and activities are conducted (collectively, “Claims”). I understand and agree that this Waiver includes any Claims based on the actions, errors, omissions, or negligence of BMES, its directors, officers, agents, employees, members, and representatives, whether a condition giving rise to any Claims occurred before, during, or after I attended or participated in the AM.
I understand that BMES is under no obligation to provide support or safety during the AM or medical aid in case of accident or illness. However, should an accident or illness occur, I give BMES (or its representatives or staff) permission to seek immediate medical aid, and I further agree to hold harmless BMES and its respective officers, directors, members, staff, and representatives from any liability for illness, death, injury, loss, or damage related in any way to the provision, or lack of provision, of medical aid.
I affirm I have carefully read this Waiver, understand its terms and conditions, and agree to be bound by all terms and conditions.”