BMES Mid-Career Award
The Mid-Career Award is awarded to a BMES member in good standing to recognize meritorious achievements and energetic leadership in biomedical engineering. The achievements may be in scholarship, education, mentorship, or practice of biomedical engineering, and must include significant involvement and sustained contributions to BMES. The recipient must have earned his/her doctorate no more than 20 and no less than 10 years prior to May 15 of the year of application. Typically, an academic recipient will hold the status of associate professor consistent with peer recognition for contributions as an independent research-educator. In non-academic sectors, the recipient will typically demonstrate strong contributions in mentorship, practice, or leadership within appropriate positions in industry.
BMES Mid-Career Award Recipients
2018 - Cynthia Reinhart-King, Ph.D. - Vanderbilt University
- A nomination letter that highlights the nominee’s contributions to biomedical engineering in one of the following areas: mentorship, practice, leadership, scholarship, or education. This letter should be sent directly to the Membership Director at BMES.
- A CV, clearly noting the date of doctoral degree for eligibility.
- A one-page statement by the applicant highlighting his/her significant involvement and sustained contributions to BMES.
- Two confidential letters of support for the applicant's contributions. These letters should not be from a former mentor, from anyone at the applicant’s institution, and from someone other than the nominator. The letters should be sent directly to the attention of the Membership Director at BMES and attest to the applicant’s meritorious achievements and energetic leadership in biomedical engineering. Each letter of support should be no longer than two pages.
- The recipient must have earned his/her doctorate no more than 20 and no less than 10 years prior to May 15 of the year of application.
- A faculty member at the associate level (or higher) or equivalent level within the industry at the time of award submission.
- The applicant must be a BMES Member in good standing with demonstrated significant involvement and sustained contributions to the BMES society.
Award and Honorarium
The recipient receives complimentary registration for the Annual Meeting, a crystal plaque, an honorarium of $5,000 and travel expenses up to $1,000. Please fill out the application form with all supporting documentation by May 15, 2019.
**The Awards Committee will screen all nominations, critically evaluate the nominee's records, and submit its recommendation to the BMES Executive Committee for approval.
Award Nomination Submissions are now CLOSED.
Make sure your application meets all the requirements stated above.