The purpose of this endowment is to further the field within the BMES’s stated mission of promoting and increasing biomedical engineering knowledge and utilization, as well as honoring the substantial legacy of Kyriacos A. Athanasiou and his contributions to the field of biomedical engineering.
The initial funding for the endowment came from a generous series of gifts from Kyriacos A Athanasiou and his wife Kiley Athanasiou. BMES seeks to build this with additional contributions.
Goal of Endowment
The Athanasiou Endowment is intended to recognize excellence in biomedical engineering by providing annual awards recognizing such excellence. Examples include: Awards for best publications in any of the BMES journals, and especially its flagship journal Annals of Biomedical Engineering, and Awards to outstanding individuals who have furthered the advancement of biomedical engineering.
- In the first category, awards are envisioned to recognize the two best papers in the Annals of Biomedical Engineering with first authors being graduate students and post-doctoral fellows, respectively. The awards will include a stipend given to the first author, one plaque recognizing all authors, and certificates for each author.
- In the second category, an annual award is envisioned in the form of a medal and a stipend. Specifically, the “K.A. Athanasiou Medal” will recognize outstanding achievements in biomedical engineering.
- significant research contributions in biomedical engineering,
- development of new products in biomedical engineering,
- educational impact in biomedical engineering, and/or
- service to the Biomedical Engineering Society.
Award and Honorarium
The award will include a stipend (for example, $2,000), a bronze medal, and a certificate.
Make a tax deductible donation today!
Make a tax deductible donation today via check!
Please make checks payable to BMES. In the memo line please write "Athanasiou Endowment".
Upon receipt of donations, BMES will mail you a confirmation letter regarding the donation.
Please mail checks to:
8201 Corporate Drive
Landover, MD 20785-2224